ANST - planning calendar year zero

P. Crandall Polk pcrandal at flash.net
Mon Feb 2 19:56:36 PST 1998

cougar17 at swbell.net wrote:

> I'm gonna have to disagree with this. 0-99 A.D. was counted as the first
> century. 100-199 was considered the second century, hence 1900-1999 is
[snip]
One of the two things are possible.

The year numbering scheme that was developed around A.D. 300 was worked
out by a Roman fellow whose name just dropped out of my head. (brain
fart!)
Anyway, the concept of zero (nothing) had not quite been worked out
except as a place holder in the decimal system. Thus 1 B.C. was
immediately followed by 1 A.D.

Or my college math instructor was wrong.

Which ever way you look at it you must realize that this is actually the
Year of the Tiger 4696, or Jewish 5758, or Byzantine 7506, or Islamic
1418. Sorry I do not have the others.

Crandall