ANST - planning calendar year zero

P. Crandall Polk pcrandal at flash.net
Tue Feb 3 10:51:04 PST 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> On  2 Feb 98 at 19:56, P. Crandall Polk wrote:
> > The year numbering scheme that was developed around A.D. 300 was
> > worked out by a Roman fellow [snip}
> "Julian" dates perhaps ????  (g)

No the Julian thing has to do with a base year and day scheme. I read
about it in the Farmer's Almanac but do not have a copy. You add some
number to the year and day of the year to get a standard identifier. I
think astronomers use it, mostly.
Caesar invented the leap year thing in late BC (?? 50 ??) to account for
the extra 1/4 day. Pope Gregory fixed it and said not leap year on
century years because 1/4 is not quite right. (15?? AD)

Crandall