ANST - Q? - War Tabards

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Thu Feb 5 10:35:09 PST 1998

Love the armband thing.  Perhaps we can even use those Greek Crosses with
the "broken" arms.  I think they called it a swastika, or something like
that.  "Ansteorra uber alles" and all that jazz.  (Note sarcasm, folks!)

Actually, did they use "armbands" in the middle ages?  Probably, but I've
never heard of it.  I still prefer livery and badges.  Besides, the armband
can't be seen very far away so a commander can't say - "See those
Ansteorrans over there?  The one's with the yellow armbands?  No, on their
right arm.  Who is that?  Are they a unit, or just a group of fighters?  Do
they know they're being flanked?  Let's go help."  I think it would be
easier to identify units by livery, thus - "See that unit in the Red & Gold?
That's Bonwicke.  They're being flanked, but they're led by a Centurion.
You!  Take a lance & help them."

Hypothetical, of course.  But I think I could tell the status of a unit by
the mix of livery.  Mostly one livery means they're still a unit.  A mix of
different liveries and unliveried fighters means they may be in trouble.

And someone mentioned the use of standards & banners.  I would love to see
more of this, and it would help a commander identify units quickly, as well
as letting the unit maintain a focal point and rally point.  But it's hard
on units of less than thirty to provide enough defense for the standard.
I'd like to see some "non-combatants" (white-diamonds) carry standards to
free up more fighters.  And a few more "non-combatants" running messages
between commanders - "Message for you, sir." :-)

Well, that's enough rambling for now.

Talen
---------
Centurion Talen Gustaf von Marienburg