ANST - Millennial Madness (was Re: Calendars)

Kendall Johnson avalon at netjava.com
Thu Feb 5 14:49:38 PST 1998

{Big Snip}

The millinial madness that occured approx. before the year A.D. 1000 took
shape in several religious uprisings. I have read that there were several in
southern and western French regions. I have also read theat a theory for the
first crusades were a subdivision of one of these uprisings.

Story was, in shortened form, that toward the end of the 900's the scare of
Christ return gave incredable support to some of the local bishops and
priest. After the turn of the century things began to die down and in an
effort to gain more power for the church they began preaching of crusades to
the holy land.

This is only a theory I heard and am not to familiar with the history of the
crusades, but it seems possible and I wouldn't put it past the early Roman
Catholic church.

Rufus Guthrie