ANST - Interesting site... and poignant, too

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Fri Feb 6 08:37:06 PST 1998

Ritter Deterich Wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/8500/sca.htm
>
> Was strolling about the Internet when I happened to stumble on
these
> gentlemen.
> And I thought we had the market on humor.  Maybe through the laughs
and
> the winces we can learn how to better ourselves, eh?
>
> Ritter Dieterich- Recovering from the ego-beating this site gave
me....
> *ouch*

	Viscount Galen of Bristol Then Added:

I saw this site several months ago, when it was a hot topic on
the Rialto.  It's posted by an Australian re-enactment group
called the Routiers, whose size is roughly equivalent to the
average household in Stargate, and whose focus is laser-tight,
in terms of period and setting.  They've looked at the SCA
as it's played in Australia, and as it's discussed on the
Rialto, found it not to _their_ satisfaction, and have devoted
a page to criticizing the SCA for not being what they think
the SCA should be.

I would not urge anyone to waste their time on the Routiers'
venom.  My reaction to it was to be glad that _my_ hobby
doesn't allow me time to be critical of groups that I'm not
in.

Instead, I spend my time trying to make that part of the
SCA that's in my reach better, more fun, and more authentic.
Unfortunately for the Routiers, that doesn't include
Australia.

- Galen of Bristol

	Sir Pendaran Adds

	I must admit that I've seen many things in the SCA that turned my
stomach. Call me a member of the period police, but I think that a
bunch of people wearing Daffy Duck tabards in a war is repulsive, not
cute. Seeing a guy in plastic, rainbow colored armor just made me cut
a swath through the enemy (with two squires protecting my flanks -
Inman may be able to do that unaided, but not I), just to hit the guy,
not laugh at how cute he was. Fortunately, most of these travesties
have been sighted in other kingdoms. However, I've seen more than
enough tennis shoes, cammo pants and wrist watches on people here in
Ansteorra. I believe that if we're supposed to be recreating the
Middle Ages and Renaissance, such things should be hidden away. New
fighters in crappy looking old armor is one thing - they're new and
are probably using stuff they've pieced together from several kind
folks who have loaned them. On the other hand, those of us that have
been around awhile need to be more vigilant about moving our cars,
hiding watches and other such things. We are the examples by which the
new people learn the game.

	Having said all of that, just what in blue blazes is up with those
Routiers? Did some big bad SCA people beat them up or something? For
crying out loud, I've haven't seen such petulance and childish hate
and jealousy like that in years. We're their mortal enemies? Grow up!

	I agree whole heartedly with Viscount Galen's sentiment: let's all do
what we can to make the SCA more fun and realistically authentic,
(meaning that we don't have to go over board but can we please move
the cars?), and have a lot of fun. If those folks in the Routiers want
to rant, let 'em. We'll just keep on having fun and making things
better.

	Pendaran