ANST - What Does Pledging Allegiance Or Giving Oath Mean?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Feb 11 05:50:30 PST 1998

Alice Harris said something that sounded like:
> What exactly does pledging allegiance or giving oath mean? What does it mean
> when a knight/laurel/pelican pledge their allegiance or oath to our kingdom
> sovereign? What do they actually give to their majesty?

I am not the best person for this, since I am not a Peer and have never
sworn an oath of fealty. However, I'm not one to back down from giving
my opinion.

As I see it, the fealty oath is a promise to protect the Kingdom in one
manner or another. This oath is given to the Crown, since they are the
representative of the Kingdom. It is not given to the individuals whom
happen to be wearing the shiny brass hats.

On the other hand, there are also those people who swear an oath of
fealty to the King and/or Queen. These oaths require them to do whatever
is sworn within the oath. (Probably to protect the individual from wrong
doing, bring them aspirin on Sunday morning, etc.)

Btw, I am of the sick and demented opinion that if you are unable to make
an oath to protect the Kingdom because of who is on the throne, you are
not protecting the Kingdom very well. *wink* So if you are so against the
people that much, take up a new hobby for 6 months, work privately on all
those projects you've been meaning to do, etc.

> What does their majesty give in return?

Chocolate? Booze? Uhh. The protective arm of the Kingdom? The militant
arm of the Heraldric College?

*shrug*

> Are kingdom officer expected to give the same to their majesty, their
> allegiance or oath?

I believe the Great Officers of State swear fealty to the Crown, but not
the Lesser Officers. This is why they are called into court during the
ceremony. If I remember right it was some generic oath that they all give
as a group.

Btw, I think this is just tradition, since only the Territorial Barons
and Baronesses are required to do so according to Kingdom Law. Only the
Knights are required to do so during the knighting ceremony by Corpora.
The Master of Arms, Laurels and Pelicans are not required to. (Unless I
missed something in Kingdom Law.)

> Is the same expected from local officers to give their majesty and to
> their local BB (baron and baroness)?

Not at all, unless they do a personal fealty oath. This has nothing to
do with the office, but the individual.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of Ansteorra...

Ciao,