ANST - What Does Pledging Allegiance Or Giving Oath Mean?

Frank D. Jurgens jurgens at ghg.net
Wed Feb 11 09:46:27 PST 1998

>What exactly does pledging allegiance or giving oath mean?

The oath of fielty or service can mean a lot of different things to whomever
is giving the oath.  For what it is worth, here is my opinion:

An oath of service sworn when taking an office should mean that you will do
your best to perform the functions of that office within the bounds of
kingdom law.  Thats it.

An oath of feilty is a very sticky thing.  As a territorial baron, I swear
an oath of feilty to the Crown of Ansteorra to lead my barony as the Crown
wishes and to uphold the laws and customs of the SCA.  In return, I expect
the Crown to give me guidance when needed and to NOT ask me to do anything
that is detremental to the barony or against the laws and customs of the
SCA.  For me, personally, I am swearing and oath to the Crown (meaning the
office) of Ansteorra.  I am not swearing a personal oath to the person who
holds that office.

I keep the oath that I swear strictly within the bounds of this game that we
call the SCA.  If I feel that I cannot abide by that oath, then it is time
that I find a new game to play.

Some people will swear an oath to an individual person.  To absolutely abide
by their wishes in all matters.  This is way to personal for me and I wont
do it.  The olny allegiance that I will swear on a personal level is to my
God, my wife, and to my country.

Again, feilty is a personal matter.  Figure out what it means to you.  Then
when you swear an oath, keep what you promise to do within those bounds.

I hope that this helps you.

Leofric Ealdricson
Baron of Loch Soilleir