ANST - animals

Catherine de Calais ladyhauke at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 08:44:53 PST 1998

Concerning the banning of animals at some events, it has been my
experience that the reason pets are banned at some events is usually
because of the lack of consideration of the owner.  There has been many
a time that I have had to run off someone's wayward dog from rooting
around in my gargage or urinating in my campground.   At our baronial
event last october (Bjornsborg) the stench of feces and unwashed dog
from a merchant's animals was almost unbearable ALL weekend long.  The
"crowning glory", it were, was having to dodge feces in the main traffic
area into our BFT on Sunday morning.

I am a licensed falconer and a dog owner.  At events I am cognizant of
others and make every effort to keep my animals leashed and out of
harm's way from children and others.  During my bird's training period,
when she becomes quite vocal, I refrain from bringing her to events so
that she does not impact the enjoyment of the event for others.  I have
no problem with people bringing their pets as long as they monitor and
restrain their pets and take care of properly disposing of their waste
material.  Unfortunately, as in many things, a few inconsiderate
people's actions usually have far reaching effects.

I do think that an event featuring the concept of animals in the middle
ages is a good one and would be very interested in participating.

I think that animals at events add such flavor and ambivance to an
events,but an inconsiderate animal owner's actions who allows his/her
animal to defacate anywhere adds an aroma that is just a little too
medieval for me.

Catherine