ANST - animals

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Feb 12 08:43:39 PST 1998

Richard Fairbourne asked about interest in animals at events:

> Too often these days animals are not always allowed on site. My wife and
> myself have three wonderful dogs and too few events we can take them
> too. During Kein and Alisha's rein more animals were allowed on site. I
> would like to see more of this.

There are varying reasons why animals are or are not allowed at SCA events.
How well various pets are accepted often depends upon how well they are
trained or monitored. I believe Mirrim has written some good guildlines
before on this from a dog owners point of view. You can find these and
other viewpoints in my dogs-msg file.

Those interested in animals at events or medieval animals in general
might be interested in some of the files in the ANIMALS section of my
Florilegium. These files include:

bees-msg          (36K)  5/30/97    Period beekeeping.
bestiaries-msg    (18K)  4/28/97    Medieval bestiaries and modern sources.
cats-msg          (14K)  1/ 2/97    The housecat in medieval times.
dogs-msg          (32K)  1/30/97    Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
falconry-msg      (27K)  9/30/96    Keeping and flying birds of prey.
fleece-types-art  (38K)  8/18/97    "Fleece Types in the Middle Ages"
                                       by Ailene nic Aedain.
p-falconry-bib    (14K)  5/14/96    Biblio. of period falconry texts.
ferrets-msg       (45K)  4/ 7/97    Ferrets in the SCA.and Middle Ages.
fishing-msg        (9K)  7/14/97    Medieval fishing. Fish ponds.
gargoyles-msg      (9K)  2/ 6/95    Animal statues and drainspouts.
horses-msg        (59K)  3/31/97    Medieval horses. Horses in the SCA.
livestock-msg     (48K) 11/23/97    Medieval livestock. Pigs, cattle, sheep.
mice-msg          (14K) 10/ 6/97    Medieval mice. dormice.
Pest-Control-art  (32K)  5/16/97    "Medieval Household Pest Control"
pets-msg          (36K)  6/13/96    Pets at SCA events.
rabbits-msg       (18K) 10/ 6/97    Medieval rabbits. As pets and food.

Some of these are aimed more toward livestock than pets, but I thought
some folks might have an interest in these also.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad