ANST - Sitting in State

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Fri Feb 13 07:23:53 PST 1998

At 09:31 AM 2/13/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I think that TRMs "sitting in state" would be a good thing.  It would,
however, take a lot of their time.  When they watch tournaments today it is
nearly the same thing, but I would like to see it at an indoor event.

Greetings!

It is a good thing as far as keeping court a little shorter, but it does
take up a lot of time.  When Ruslan and I took the throne in the East, we
asked the Peerages and Landeds to give group oaths during court and then
sat in state for most of the rest of the afternoon so that people could
give gifts, congratulations, and individual oaths if they wished.  We
figured that Coronation courts are long enough without all the additional
business.  Didn't work out as well as we wished because we had some folks
who really wanted to give their oath in court.  Still, we think court time
was cut by an hour or so.

I'm not sure how well this would work at a normal event, however, because
there's just too much going on that people expect/wish the Crown to
witness.  For Coronations, I think it's a wonderful idea.  The King and
Queen get to do their job, and the general populace does not have to sit
through a bunch of stuff that is mainly of interest only to those involved.
 It's much better than losing people's interest during an interminable court.

Margaret

Lisa A. May
xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily,
then eat and drink as friends."
W. Shakespeare