ANST - You know what's coming

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Feb 18 10:09:11 PST 1998

> If you formed a principality, what newsletter would you subscribe to?

You would recieve the Kingdom newsletter with your Sustaining Membership, just
like always.

> I am
> quite sure a principality produces its own newsletter, so that would be
> your default newsletter.

No more than the Baronial newsletter is your default newsletter.

>  But would you also get the Black Star?  If so, who would pay for it.

You would pay for a Principality newsletter just like you pay for a local
newsletter. Maybe $12 a year or so. If that's too much then get the Black
Star like always.

> If you don't get the Black Star, would your
> principality feel increasingly alienated from the rest of Ansteorra?  Would
> you go to events in other regions if you did not get the Black Star (which
> advertised those events)?

See above. Living in a Principality would not be so much different than living
in a really big Barony. Do you get your local newsletter? Do you only attend
Baronial events? Do you never leave your Region? Just because you live in a
Principality doesn't mean you are trapped within its borders! The Kingdom still
takes precedence. You can still fight in Crown, still hold Kingdom offices,
etc...

> I am guessing that you would not get the Black Star unless you paid extra
> for it with your annual SCA membership.

The corporate bookstore does not handle Principality newsletters. (Except for
Lochac.)

> Or maybe the autocrats would like to send their event announcements to both
> Kingdom and Principality newsletters.  And when they get it done the
> evening of the 2nd or 3rd of the month (of course, that never happens
> around here, does it?  :-} ), they can pay TWO overnight express bills, and
> TWO late fees.  Unless of course you end up with two principalities, then
> make it three of everything.  Yup, this is going to make it easier on
> everyone.

I doubt that sending two event announcements would be that great a hardship on
a group. You seem to be making things sound worse than they actually are.

> Rumil

Yers,

Gunthar