ANST - The burden of the Crown

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Feb 18 16:47:16 PST 1998

Sir Lyonel wrote:
> Now, let's see--the Crown Prince's arms have a label, ...
> What was the charge for a second heir???

There were various conventions in various countries and
periods.  Since this is an heir apparent of an heir
apparent, I believe the standard modern English practice is
a label of five points.

(Two nits: if "third heir is a martlet", you're using "heir"
to mean "son".  The second set of crown prince/ess would not
be a second son, but son of a son.  I don't recall the
various standard English charges for each numbered son, but
I think martlets are further down.

Also, the doctrine "a living man has no heir" goes back to
the Romans.  These comments refer to a primogeniture-based
system where the title cannot pass by will or be renounced:
If nothing short of your own death or a law change will
prevent you inheriting someday, you're an heir apparent.
Otherwise, if the title holder dying right now would give
you the title, you're an heir presumptive -- another person
might displace you in the future.  Examples: a man has two
sons and a brother.  The eldest is the heir apparent.  He
dies; the second son is now heir apparent.  He dies; the
man's brother is now heir presumptive.  He doesn't have a
lock on it because the man might beget another son, who
would become heir apparent.)

I think the odds of Ansteorran law changing to have two
generations of heirs is pretty low.

--
Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com