ANST - Principality naming

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Feb 18 22:17:21 PST 1998

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Dennis and/or Dory Grace
<amazing at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I think "Leonshire" sounds cool.

Perhaps, but "shire" is a reserved word in the SCA, for a
particular unit of government.  In period, it's also a unit
of government.  "Principality of the Shire of Leon" is what
it means, and it'd be returned for self-contradiction.  And
since designators are held to be transparent for conflict,
it'd be returned for conflict with the kingdom of Leon.
(You can't register "the Barony of England" by saying "we're
not claiming to be the famous kingdom".)

> I also like "Lowenbahn" really really well.

Hans Bahlow (trans. by Edda Gentry), _Dictionary of German
Names_, is my only German name source, and it's for personal
names (tho geographic names end up there as surnames).  It's
sorted only by the whole name, and not cross-indexed by
elements (e.g., L{o:}schenkohl, charcoal burner (or smith),
is near the end of L, not also under K).  Thus, I can't
check for names of the form "-bahn" without reading the
entire book.

However, "bahn-" is not there meaning "road" (one is a
nickname for Benedict, the other is a Frisian given name).

Also, I'd be surprised to hear of a "road" being the basis
for a name of a large place.  "-gate" is known in English
(e.g. Westgate near Stargate), but from a Norse word meaning
"road", and is more appropriate for a suburb.

As a surname, Bahlow lists Lowenkop (lion head),
L{o:}wensprung (lion leap), Lewenbrust (lion chest),
Karschelowe, Wildelowe.  A modern atlas has L{o:}wenberg
(Lion Mountain), L{o:}wenbruch, L{o:}wenstein, but I don't
know if they existed in period.

Daniel Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.