ANST - King's College

Mitman, Rikki Rikki.Mitman at COMPAQ.com
Thu Feb 19 12:37:35 PST 1998

Grafin:

I have a couple of options for you to consider. One is to teach
beadmaking, which I have done several times with good results. Not all
sites will allow this, however, so please be sure to check with them if
you want this class. It involves the use of two small blow torches,
fueled by MAPP gas. The torches are mounted in stabilizing bases, and
while I always bring a fire extinguisher, I have never had cause to use
it. If you want this class and can get it approved, I can give you more
specifics on that.

Another thing I can do is more of a lecture-with-handouts on the
development of glass technology, beginning in antiquity and coming up
through the Renaissance. This would include the manufacture of glass
vessels, beads, windows, and other items, and possibly feature a video
on some glassmakers in Afghanistan whose methodology has been unchanged
for centuries. I suspect that the appeal of this might not be as broad
as the first option (though of course *I* find it fascinating!); in any
event, if either of these classes would be of interest, let me know.

Either class can be done in a one-hour slot; because the beadmaking
class can only take two students at a time, there is usually demand for
more than one slot for that class.

Teleri ferch Pawl