ANST - Principality questions

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Thu Feb 19 13:43:54 PST 1998

At 01:18 PM 2/19/98 +1100, Katrionna MacLochlainn wrote:

>If a region becomes a principality, do groups in that area still get
>to bid to host Kingdom events (like Crown Tourney, Kingdom Warlord,
>etc.?) - or do those in the principality just have to resign
>themselves to traveling outside the principality in order to fight in
>the Kingdom's Crown Tournament, or compete in Kingdom Eistedfodd,
>etc.?

The Principality groups are still part of the Kingdom and have every right
to host Kingdom events.  Quite often it was an additional source of pride
for a Principality group to "throw a better event" than a non-Principality
group.

>Also, several years back there was much concern voiced from many of
>the peers in my region about how hard it was to get their circles to
>recognize candidates for peerage unless the candidate travelled at
>least as far south as Steppes (but more often to Stargate or further)
>in order to be seen.  I think the problem seems to be getting better,
>but how would an outlying principality fare?

The Principality would at least have the advantage of having Royalty to
represent their citizens, as well as the members of the peerage within the
Principality.  Other than that added benefit, the distance problem usually
remains a problem.

When we considered citizens who lived in Aethelmearc for a peerage, the
question from those who never traveled to Aethelmearc from the rest of the
East Kingdom was still, "who is this person" and "how much does he/she
travel?"  Principality peers were generally given some deference in the
circles because of their personal knowledge of the candidate, but the rest
of the circle still usually felt that the candidate's work had to have
impact on the Kingdom as a whole.  As always, it was up to the Crown to
decide how much deference to give the recommendation of the Coronet.

That was how it worked in the North American portion of the East Kingdom.
When we were Crown, we still had Drachenwald as part of the East.
Drachenwald and her citizens were so removed from the rest of the East that
we generally paid great deference to Their Highnesses and the Drachenwald
peers when they recommended a candidate.  If they said yes, it generally
got done, and Their Highnesses were the ones who performed the ceremony
(unless the candidate was coming over for Pennsic, or the Eastern Royalty
were lucky enough to be able to go to Europe).

>If what I've heard is true, that Prince & Princess don't make peers,
>do they attend peer circles?  (I wouldn't think so, but I don't
>know).

Generally, the Coronet did not attend the peer circles held by the Crown.
They quite often solicited opinions from the peers who resided in their
Principality and they often made recommendations to the Crown, but they did
not participate in the peerage circles themselves.

There is nothing in the world, however, that says Ansteorra has to run
things the way another Kingdom does.  Part of the fun of starting something
new (if that's what we end up doing) is establishing new traditions.

Margaret

Countess Margaret ny Connor
Barony of Bonwicke
Kingdom of Ansteorra

Lisa A. May
xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily,
then eat and drink as friends."
W. Shakespeare