ANST - Principalities

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Fri Feb 20 07:58:28 PST 1998

Greetings Ansteorrans...

Kief here...

Gunhilda wrote... (Howdy cousin!!!)

>> > As for the growth issue... I don't have current statistics on
>> > membership numbers, but I can't believe that there aren't more people
>> > attending SCA events now than there were 12 years ago. It sure seems
>> > like there are a lot more cars in the parkinglots... a lot more
>> > pavillions around the list fields, a lot more people vying for feast
>> > tickets...
>> >
>> > Gunhilda, Baroness etc.
>> > Shire of Mooneschadowe

I agree with HE observation's...there are more people, more cars, more
everything...EXCEPT....memberships...!!! (HINT!)

Then Lord Stefan replyed...

>We may well be losing paid memberships but actually gaining people
>who play. Even if we are losing people, the number of groups is
>increasing.
>
>A look at the group directory in the Blackstar eight years ago
>compared to the one in the current Blackstar should show a greater
>number of groups, even if the official headcount in some of the
>groups has shrunk.

A look in the NOV 1990 _Black Star_ shows 31 chapters...compared to 39-40 as of
this date... An overall increase of 8 or 9 chapters in 7 years and 3 months.
That is only one new group every 10.88 months....given an increase of 8
chapters...

However, compare today's number of groups to just a couple of years ago when we
had approx. 50 chapters we have been losing ground....

>Since each group puts on roughly the same number of calender events,
>increasing the number of groups increases the competition for the
>same number of weekends. Thus we have two and three events per
>weekend, whereas when I joined only eight years ago, it was more
>like one or two events per weekend. I believe the size of some
>of our events, such as Candlemas has generally been coming down
>in recent years due to the greater number of events.

The NOV 1990 _Black Star_ shows 44 events scheduled on an EIGHT month
Calendar...

The FEB 1998 _Black Star_ shows 35 events on an SIX month Calendar...

The AVERAGE number number of events PER MONTH has increased from 5.5 in NOV 90
to 5.83 in FEB 98...hardly a huge increase... In fact, given the increase in
the number of groups over the 7 years period the ratio of events to group has
gone DOWN.... The problem of a seemingly crowded Calendar comes from all of the
chapters trying to squeeze their events into the 6 "good" event months... You
know, the months that aren't "too hot" or too cold/wet"...

>Even if the number of participants stays the same, increasing the
>number of groups causes additional strains upon the administrative
>offices and the crown.

I am in agreement on the additional strain on the Crown.... However, an
increase of but 8 chapters over the years shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Besides...the Kingdom implemented the Regional Adminstrative Structure in the
interim which has lessened the workload of the Kingdom Greater and Lesser
Officers of State...

>While principalities might open the gate and lead to the splitting
>up of the Kingdom of Ansteorra, I think I have changed my mind on
>the principality question in favor of it because of the problems
>mentioned by Gunnora with the Royalty never being able to visit
>their out of the way lands.

True, the principility(ies) may just split the Kingdom eventually... Depends on
the Domino Effect...*grin* I feel that the Crown(s) have been doing an
excellent job of visiting the various groups within our Kingdom... There are
problems with their scheduling... There is no set rotation to ensure a visit to
each chapter over a period of time... There needs to be a policy and schedule
to ensure this end... I've suggested a period of 18 months (3 Crowns and 3
Crown Heirs) to fulfill this obligation... The time period could be shortened
to 12 months if necessary...

>Lord Stefan li Rous, SC, ST

In service...

Sir Kief av Kiersted, OP, Baron Raven's Fort (ret.)