ANST - Cross Plains ???

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Mon Feb 23 09:44:25 PST 1998

Cross Plains is nearest to the Shire of Mendersham, and I believe within
our 50-mile radius of "influence" (such as it is).  We have not heard
anything about a shire there, and I am assuming that this is a joke born
of  Bear's (and others) admiration of  Howard and his writings.

I do know that there is a Robert E. Howard  preservation society there
that is run mostly by little old ladies who would probably have been
appalled by the actual presence of the cape-clad young man running around
their tiny town.  It's no wonder he committed suicide!  His
unquestionable talent was not recognized during his lifetime, but only
when he became the town's claim to fame.  (I admit to being cynical here.
 If I am mistaken,  let me know.  I would be glad to be wrong.)

Joanna