ANST - Principality Arms Discussion

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Mon Feb 23 18:11:57 PST 1998

Hello !

Pet peeve time here......

 Daniel said.....

>> I generally advise against ermine or ermined tinctures
>> (pean, counter-ermine, erminois, X ermined Y) because lots
>> of ermine spots are an utter bitch and a half to sew.

(This isnt aimed at you, Daniel, I'm just using your mail to gripe at)

I've heard this point many times. "Oh, It's so hard doing all those itty
bitty spots" Sheesh. I cant belive that in such a large and well rounded
kingdom so many people have such a hard time with the "ermine" family that
it is in fashion to dissuade persons from using that on armory.

It reminds me of a Heralds story about the Barony of Carolingia (Boston,
MA). The Herald of the Barony is called the "Griffin Pursuivant" but there
isnt any Griffins on the Barony's arms. It seems that they were originaly on
there, but it was too hard to draw them, so the Griffins were dropprd, and
the name stayed.

Yes, I realize they can be a pain, but I dont think that should be a reason
for anyone to *not* have them on a device.

Daniel continued...
 >> Ask
>> Anna Stitcher about the banner she did for Baron Edwin of
>> the Steppes.  She believes that nobody should be allowed to
>> register ermine unless they submit with it a banner
>> certified as being sewn with their own hand.  If they want
>> it that bad -- fine.

and Gio added........

>And, the likelyhood of dear Anna having to sew or embroider my
>device on anything is fairly low.  I'm not planning on winning Steppes
>Warlord anytime soon.

I must say that Anna is a real dear. After all, she's had to put up with me!  ;)

Timo
24th Steppes Warlord
Gyronny, Ermine and Azure