ANST - Wedding Customs

Ld Agnarr Thorvaldson agnarr at xroadstx.com
Thu Feb 26 18:15:25 PST 1998

The "Courtship or Love Spoon" is a very period Item.  They are if my memory serves
me right as being attributed to the northern portions of the England, they might
even be a acrry over from a the bell-beaker people (ie early celts). I will have to
check in by references on thhis to be certian. but I remember doing some research
on these when I made one as a gift for my Lady-love when I proposed to her 6 years
ago.  She really liked it and was very hurt when it broke when we moved a couple of
years ago.  I do remember that the sponn was cerved and presented to the lads
betrothed as a sign of his love and commitment to the lady.  and the story goes
that the spoon was hung on the couples wall to give them happyness, and also it was
to act as a barrier against the spirits of hunger.
Hope this helps
Ld Agnarr Thorvaldson