ANST - A&S Etiquette

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Feb 4 13:10:49 PST 1998

Giraut asks:

> I have perhaps a simple question for my fellow listmembers. I was at an
> event a while ago that featured an arts & sciences pavilion. I'm not
> sure if it was a competition or simply an exhibition. Several of the
> tables had small portions of food, such as cheese or baked goods. Some
> others had an opened bottle or two of wine, mead, or ale with a few
> cups. The tables were unattended and there was no 'figure of authority'
> overseeing things. Not knowing what was expected I didn't touch
> anything, but I wondered afterward if these things were there for
> display only, for public consumption, or for the judges alone to sample
> (if it was a competition). What would you have assumed?

I've been in the same confusing situation. At that time, I did not
touch anything. It would be bad if when the judges got over to the
table there was nothing left for them to judge. Although I guess
that would be an indication of what others thought about the items.

I think the recent Steppes 12th Night was the last time I ran across this
concern. I too, would like to find out what one should do in this
situation. There were some awlfully good looking items that it would
have been nice to sample.

Stefan li Rous