ANST - Interesting site... and poignant, too

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Thu Feb 5 21:31:33 PST 1998

>  Having said all of that, just what in blue blazes is up with those
> Routiers? Did some big bad SCA people beat them up or something? For
> crying out loud, I've haven't seen such petulance and childish hate
> and jealousy like that in years. We're their mortal enemies? Grow up!

Well, I think perhaps the delivery of the sentiment may have been
immature, but the sentiment itself could very well be deserved.  I've
never been to Lochac myself, and so I can't speak for the Lochac
standards of authenticity.  Everyone seems to feel that Ansteorra is a
cut above other kingdoms when it comes to appropriate garb, armor, and
accessories.  But I have to say that if Ansteorra is your shining
example, then I don't *want* to see the other side of the SCA.  If
Lochac is half as anachronistic as we, then I can understand the
Routiers contempt.  I would also resent it if a group of badly dressed
idiots were making my group look bad.  Wait--I do hate it when that
happens.  It really ticks me off when I am wearing my best court garb
doing my best to *be* my personna, and someone comes up to me and says,
"hey, are you with ______ [insert name of t-tunic and Nike wearing beer
from the can guzzling household]?"  No, I am not with that group.  That
group's reputation cheapens my reputation and scares away potential
newbies, because most newbies are looking for people who live the dream.

I agree that the Routiers have presented their opinion in an offensive
manner with an arogant attitude, but I don't blame them one teensy bit
for feeling the way they do.  Kudos to the Routiers for being so
dedicated to an acurate portrayal of their chosen time period.  I have a
great deal of respect for people who try to have a personna.  It's
refreshing to see someone, SCA or otherwise, who dresses from a certain
time frame, has hobbies from that time frame, and sets their mug from
that time frame on a table from that time frame in a pavillion from that
time frame....  I actually disagree with an early-period Irishmen in a
T-tunic fighting a rapier combat style taught by a 16th century Italian,
much as I love the SCAer in question.  I don't want to become an
authenticity Nazi, and in truth--the little anachronisms don't bother me
or disrupt my magic moments all that much.....But WOW! it would be cool
if they didn't happen at all!  SO, let's give the Routiers a break. They
have the same basic dream that we have, but they started with a definate
goal in mind, and we started in somebody's backyard.

Ghia

--
Madame Ghislaine Fontanneau
elyh at wcc.net