ANST - War Unit Identification

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:26:17 PST 1998

Follow-up from last week (cleaning out the mailbox, found one that I
intended to comment upon at the time and didn't get back to...)

---Scot Eddy <seddy at vvm.com> wrote:
> Combine the two ideas. Unit banner on top and the kindom
> banner below it on the pole. Thus you have your unit
> identifier (probably a much larger one) which is medieval
> and the kingdom banner for easy identification.

 Jovian, a few quibbles and an alternative for this concept:
1. Kingdom is more important than unit, kingdom ident goes on top
(same rationale whereby American flag is always highest on the pole,
or placed on a pole of at least the same height, etc... basic Flag
Code stuff here!)

2. Have *you* ever tried to carry two banners on one pole? Unless
the bannerman is built more or less like Magilla Gorilla (tm), It
Will Not Work with normal banners of any regular, decent size. Esp.
not without a harness of some type to assist in holding the pole.
(Herein speaks a former colorguard flag bearer, KHS 74-76)

3.  There *is* a traditional alternative, one which I'm not certain
of the dating for and hesitate to suggest for the battlefield: the
multi-panel "long" banner, upon which the Primary Flag is placed
nearest the banner pole (at the "hoist"), and additions are made in
order of precedence along the length (Kingdom, Barony, Organizing
Noble, Unit for example purposes...). If this cloth is too long,
however, it becomes dangerous on the field. I haven't checked the
war rules, but I'd not be surprised to see maximum banner size or
some limit on dimensions become an inclusion if it isn't there yet.

My understanding of the historical practices surrounding large unit
banners is that the unit and "national" banners would typically be
carried separately, on different staves. The national banner became
the preferred ensign for battle relatively late on land, with the
practice seeming to be well-established by the time of the American
Civil War and certainly an influence two generations earlier, with
Napoleon in Europe.

Banners for *small* units, up to a platoon or so in strength, have
typically been small as well. They did not usually have to be
identified over as great a distance and seldom improved the
individual soldier's survival chances. ("Spearpoint on banner pole
very good thing, Mongo my friend.") I would think it normal for such
small-unit banners to incorporate the primary identifying colors and
symbols of the force for which said unit was fighting, or the noble
or town who "raised" (equipped/sponsored/hired) them. I cannot at
this instant point to extant examples; I suspect that if any survive
anywhere, some of the town museums in Germany would be a good place
to look.

I take as "living" example any modern military parade ground. The
national colors traverse the route first, accompanied by the colors
of the senior formation (Division, Regiment, etc.) represented and
an honor guard. These are followed by the subunits (Regiment,
Company, Troop, Squadron, etc.), typically without national colors
if dismounted but _usually_ bearing appropriate sub-unit pennons.
(Unit pennons which might only be actually carried under parade
conditions or on a vehicle, actually...)

Beyond that, if anyone really cares about the subject, desires
greater authenticity or at least knowledge, and is stymied in his or
her own researches, it may be a good time to call upon the knowledge
of Master Charles O'Connor (mundanely known as J. Patrick Hughes;
USArmy, retired [? - may still be Reservist]; currently resident in
AEthelmarc, I think) for his familiarity with military history.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com