ANST - Imitating Gemstones and Ivory in PVC Clay

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Feb 12 18:05:19 PST 1998

Greetings!

Lady Radegund of Bjornsborg made me aware of a seminar upcoming in San
Antonio that I wanted to mention to others.  This is a workshop on
simulating natural materials in PVC clays, presented by Tory Hughes, who is
one of the most famous artists working in FIMO (PVC Clay) today.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Tory Hughes, I learned how to make
faux ivory using her technique, as explained in an interview with Tory
Hughes found in an issue of Ornament magazine.  Huges has done fantastic
work simulating:

* ivory
* turquoise
* jade
* amber (opaque varieties, copal, fatty ambers)
* malachite
* agate
* lapis lazuli

The three-day class will be held at the SouthWest Craft Center on February
20, 21, and 22 for a cost of $210 per person.

Ms. Hughes will also be giving a free slide lecture on the evening of
Friday, February 20.

I can't afford to go alas, but maybe someone will be able to go, and will
come back and report all the neat stuff they learned.

Tory Hughes also has two video seminars on the subject of simulating
various natural materials.  I would bet that these will be available for
sale at the SouthWest Craft Center while Ms. Hughes is in town.  I've also
seen them advertised in Ornament magazine.  If anyone is interested in
going in on a collective effort to buy these videos then share them, please
contact me off-list.

If anyone is interested in getting together a group of people to contribute
towards the cost of sending one person to the San Antonio seminar (so that
the person can come back and teach the group the techniques learned) please
contact Lady Radegund at <cternus at texas.net>

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)