[Ansteorra] gas prices

Elizabeth Blackthorne damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 18:27:36 PDT 2006

I absolutely hate the gas prices!  I just filled up my little car which only has an 8 gal tank and it cost me almost $30.  I remember only 6 months or so ago when it was less than $20.  So what can I do about it, nothing really.  I have to drive to and from my job because it is 6 or so miles from my home.  Less than 2 I would walk, at 5 miles or less I would ride a bike, maybe that is my laziness showing.

As for Eventing, it amazes me how much I can fit into my little Ford Aspire, if I am taking someone who will share 1 tent, 1 ice chest, and a pavilion that is the size of a tent bag when folded up; I can fit one other person with me.  This is good because if I drive 55mph I can get 40 or so mpg on the highway.  This type of packing takes planning out in advance, and figuring out what is "really" needed vs. what is wanted.  I can even fit in a 4ft. table and camping chairs.
But, if I was trying to make sure everything fit into the ambiance of the SCA complete with coverings and "period chairs"  it would be impossible, even if i went alone.

I believe that alot of what is going to happen with eventing is that people will stop trying to look so "period" (period tents, pavilions, tables and chairs, etc) and look toward the more modern, more compact, things so that more people can ride share than before.  And because when gas budgets go up, other budgets must go down, we will have more people eventing less, blackstar and other publication subscriptions going down.  Possibly even a membership decline.  If I am only attending 2-3 events per year, not interested in an office, and on a really tight budget, $9 in NMS is cheeper than a $20 membership.  Don't worry about my membership as I am an office holding junkie, and I like getting the Blackstar so I will continue to find the $35 each year.  I also despise the paperwork of bringing a non-member minor to an event, so my son's $10 for membership will also continue to be there.

For the events that it is most important to "look good"(Gulf War, Pensic, Crown Tourney, Kingdom or Society Anniversary, etc.) maybe people can look into sharing a big rental trailer, put it on the minivan, or other large passenger capacity vehicle, and get 5 or more adults splitting gas.  Pulling a trailer does way lower the mpg a vehicle gets, so you got to make sure you have enough people splitting gas to make it worth while.  I also have a Ford F250 pickup I can use to event in but, it gets 12 or less mpg depending upon how loaded down I am.  Needless to say, I only take it when I am driving 100 miles or less and need to bring things to the event such as all the tables, waterbearing supplies, kitchen supplies, etc.  It also goes to Gulf War as we rent a huge trailer and fit 5 adults in, and 1 child.

Well there is my two copeks worth.

Lady Elizabeth Blackthorne
Crossrode Keep