[Ansteorra] Principality?

Duncan MacNamara sca_macnamara at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 20:02:12 PDT 2006

As has been stated before during this rather long conversation, everyone is entitled to an opinion... that being said, I've already stated mine, and I'm sure no one really wants to hear me re-itterate it.

  Admiral Mac

Faelan Caimbeul <faelancaimbeul at gmail.com> wrote:
  My Lord Admiral,

Why would a Principality break up the Kingdom? I would unite it, at least
more-so that Principality. They would have their own Royals. West kingdom
has had several Principalities for, I believe, decades and they have not
split off or divided the Kingdom.

But wait, was this not how Ansteorra was formed, from a Principality? I
think it would be a noble pursuit to show your mettle and honor by building
your Baronies to a Principality, then building your Principality to a
Kingdom. But just as noble a pursuit is simply the Principality, dedicating
itself to the glory of Ansteorra.

I don't see the fear of the Principality becoming a Kingdom. If everyone is
so dead set against splitting off from the Kingdom, don't. That doesn't mean
we cant "upgrade" to Principality. I agree though that gas is a bad excuse.

Better reason, take the pressure off the King and Queen. They're the ones
that travel expenses and real life affect the most. People like to have the
monarchs at their events. It's been raised more than once that it's very
hard to get to all the events as Monarchs. Having another set that can fill
that role, hand out awards, and be a royal presence would take some of that
pressure off. And, if you want to use this reasoning, keeps the travel costs
down since the Prince(ss) would only have to make appearances in their
Principality (say central region), making it more affordable for them, and
more likely there would be a Royal presence at those events.

If the King and Queen make it as well, all the more wonderful. If they
can't, for whatever reason, they Prince(ss) can take care of any business
that needs doing, with the power of the Crown behind them, no questions
asked.

Another advantage I've seen in other Kingdoms is recognition. It's been
brought up repeatedly that people need to make recommendations for stuff to
the Crown. They're VERY busy, and it's difficult to give everything its due
time. With a sub-level of this awards hierarchy in place, and the Prince
having a closer connection, and smaller pool of people to support,
recognition is more common, and quickly forthcoming. Lets face it, getting
an award, or a kind word from a landed Prince or Princess is really cool
too.

I like the idea, and I think it's just a natural progress, all part of life.
As I said, it can only benefit the Kingdom. There's no reason it MUST split
up the Kingdom. Principality is still a long road to Kingdom.

Faelan