[Ansteorra] children and babies in the SCA

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 27 20:00:21 PDT 2006

Moira Lindsay asked:

> Speaking of 2 babies (and the promised subject change)...
>
> Two kids under the age of 2 makes eventing.. tricky for me and
> Liam.  So,
> keeping in mind I can NOT be the first woman to bring smalls to an
> event, I
> seek the wisdom of those who have pulled this off  (eventing with
> babies).
> They're too small for children's activities, our closest family is in
> Biloxi, and it's not like we can leave them at home like cats where
> they
> get a big bowl of food and a warning about keggers.  Hints, tips,
> tricks?

Here are a few files in the Florilegium section about this subject.
In the CHILDREN section:
2-Hobyhorses-art   (5K)  1/28/01    "Two Ideas for Hobbyhorses" by
Slaine Ni
                                        Chiarain.
babies-msg       (103K)  2/ 2/01    Camping with babies.
baby-gifts-msg    (20K)  4/13/98    Period-type and SCA-useful baby
gifts.
baby-slings-msg    (9K)  2/ 2/01    Cloth slings for carrying your baby.
children-msg     (150K)  7/13/04    Children in the SCA and period.
children-SCA-lnks  (9K)  1/20/05    Links to info on children in the SCA
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
chd-ck-clsses-msg (12K)  1/ 3/01    Children's cooking classes.
chd-actvites-msg  (43K)  8/25/00    Children's activities for SCA
events.
child-books-msg   (28K)  3/23/03    Children's Medieval and Ren.
history books.
child-clothes-msg (32K)  6/ 6/00    Period and SCA children's clothing.
child-gam-msg     (30K)  8/25/00    Period and SCA children's games.
p-cook-child-art   (8K)  1/25/06    “Bored? Period Cooking For the Next
                                        Generation!” by Mistress
Andrea MacIntyre
p-cook-child-msg  (15K)  7/14/04    Period cooking for children.
p-rcipes-chld-art (17K)  6/ 1/05    Recipes from Mistress Christianna
MacGrain’s
                                       pamphlet on period dishes for
child cooks.
child-wagons-msg   (7K)  9/27/99    Wagons for hauling children at
events.
Kindergarb-art    (12K)  1/12/03    Thoughts on making children's
clothing
                                        by Lady Hrosvitha von Celle.
teething-toys-msg (22K)  1/ 5/01    Period and SCA teething toys for
infants.
teenagers-msg     (26K)  2/15/01    Period and SCA teenagers. SCA
activities.
toys-msg          (63K)  7/20/99    Period and SCA toys.
Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K)  8/30/99    "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady
Margritte
                                        of Ravenscroft.

In the FEASTS section:
child-kitchen-msg (25K) 11/22/00    Having children in the kitchen
during feast
                                        preperation.

In the CLOTHING section:
clothing-MN-msg   (62K)  9/14/99    Maternity and nursing garb.
   (This last one is probably a bit late for you, just as the one on
teenagers is a bit early, but perhaps there are others here who will
find these more directly useful)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas