[Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Population

Deana Covel dmcovel79 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 12:09:08 PDT 2006

Student Population:
  As a former grad student in Medieval History, I can
answer some questions.  I did not have the time or the
money for events when in school. I did not "really"
participate in events outside of Three Bridges until
after I graduated.
  Also, a number of people in my program did not care
about the same things as the SCA does.  They wanted to
study the books and the people and the theories of the
middle ages (or their own specialized area of it).
Not the hands on stuff like the A&S promotes. And
honestly, some of them thought they were “too good”
for the SCA.

Officers:
  Some people are just not comfortable steeping up to
an officer position.  Some are not comfortable saying
"I want X job."
Sometimes an officer needs to go to someone and say:
"I think you would be a great Deputy and could replace
me. "  Rather than wait for a volunteer.  The person
could still say "No", but an idea has been planted
inside their head, that they are "leadership
material."  Next time a call is put forth, they might
answer it, rather than think: "I wouldn't be a good
leader", "I haven't played long enough", "I don't know
enough people", "I don't know what to do", etc.
  Remember sometimes a person who did not feel ready
for the job does the best job.
 Just my thoughts.

In Service,
 L. Hanna von Dahl