[Ansteorra] attracting and keeping--he said she said

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 08:22:01 PDT 2006

I have SO got to learn to edit my emails better.
  Elizabeth said

  In my opinion, No One who has been playing less than 2 years should be allowed to hold an office at all. Someone should also have just attended at least three events before being put in charge of something at an event. Maybe this way we could keep the newbies we attract.

 and I said:
This may be true for some, but I've known losts of new people who really didn't feel a part of things until they were given a job and some responsibility.
  I think the key is providing them with the support and encouragement they need to succeed.
  gwyneth

Thomas White <toddwhite2735 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  I apologize, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Smaller groups, groups that are forming, college groups all rely on people who are capable of doing the job. Just because you've only been in for less than 2 years doesn't mean you don't have the skills needed. I've seen countless individuals who were phenominal officers who jumped in with enthusiasm, even though it was only their first, second, or third event/meeting. It also depends on how you play - one event in a year is very different from an event every weeknd for a year. Sometimes we need those newer individuals to share some of their ideas, give us new enthusiasm, and bring a fresh look at the officer core. Sometimes they're the only ones to do a job for a small group to stay alive. It just doesn't seem fair to think of people needing to meet a minimum time served in order to be helpful, productive officers/ in charge of things at events. I like to give people a chance and have often been pleasantly
suprised by the result.

Thanks,

Hoegaarden

p.s. I think my wife had been in less than 2 years when she was named a landed baroness in a humoungous group (Denver).