[Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Officers

dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Sun Apr 30 20:58:32 PDT 2006

Greetings Lady Racheal,

While I know not how you have performed in your office, I do know that the
chronicler's office is often one of the most challenging and I applaud your
willingness to attempt it. (And congrats on your recent AoA :-) In the SCA,
while we strive to practice chivalric virtues, life often presents
situations and obstacles that make it challenging. I do not intend to defend
or indict your fellow officers, but offer only this: While some may fall
short of our expectations, I look on it as an opportunity to brush up on my
own charity and try to be as positive as I can. As an officer, sometimes you
are forced to accept criticism (fair and unfair) and rise above the desire
to lash out. Do your best, rise above pettiness (that of others as well as
your own) and try to set the best example you can. But do not be
disappointed if some around you cannot do likewise. We are all human. For
every person who sends a criticism your way, there are usually several more
that are appreciative (albeit, quietly). As Spock said in the "Wrath of
Khan"--"It's always been easier to destroy than to create". I think it is
often easier to criticize than to take positive action. While the Dream is
not always uppermost in everyone's mind, we should try to foster it when and
where we can. Thank you for your post, because it reminds me of my own
shortcomings and causes me to want to renew my efforts in this regard.

HE Armand Dragonetti
Baron of Elfsea