[Ansteorra] Help with Newsletter Article

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 30 19:26:37 PST 2006

Octavia, Chronicler of shire of Brad Leah, asked:
>  I'm hoping the good gentles of this fair kingdom can lend me some
> impute.
> I"m currently the chronicler of our local newsletter and as many
> chroniclers
> can attest, am finding it difficult to procure interesting articles
> to print.
>
> Our group is going to base our fall event on a "Women of History"
> type theme.
> These were powerful women who affected their local region and
> perhaps the
> world as well.  With this in mind, I thought it might be
> interesting to do a
> series of informal interviews with the "Women of Ansteorra."

I'm afraid I can't help you any with this particular idea of the
"Women of Ansteorra" articles, however perhaps your or the other
chroniclers of this fine kingdom might want to consider perusing some
of the files in the Florilegium for similar topics in the future.
Many of the articles in the Florilegium were originally written for
local newsletters and thus will be of the size you are looking for.
Looking at the bottom of any Florilegium article (-art) files will
likely give you a notice on any republication permissions already
given.  Usually this is to make sure the original author gets credit,
which I hope you are doing anyway, and sometimes to send the author a
copy of the newsletter in which their work appears.

Here are some files, including articles, which might work for similar
issues on Women's studies.

f-fighters-msg    (37K)  1/23/01    Protective gear for female fighters.
(Not an article, but a source of info for someone wanting to compose
such an article)

Fightng-Small-art (24K)  2/19/99    "Fighting for those of Small
Stature"
                                        by Centurion Romanius
Vesperanius.
Iron-Rose-lnks    (12K) 11/23/05    Links to info on women warriors,
past and
                                        present by Dame Aoife Finn of
Ynos Mon.
Shield-Balanc-art (10K)  6/23/99    "How to Balance your Shield to YOU!"
                                        by Master Sir Anluan Trelaine.
   (Not specific to women, but a short article perhaps good for a
newsletter)

Women-Battle-art  (35K)  5/21/99    "Women and the Art of Battle in
the late
                                        Middle Ages" by Robin E. Craig.
Women-Warriors-art (31K)  8/22/04    "Women Warriors: Myth or Reality?"
                                        by Mistress Siobhan ni Seaghdha.

And for the theme of "Women of History" mentioned above, these
articles in the PEOPLE AND PLACES section might be useful:
Elanor-o-Aqu-lnks  (8K)  11/7/05    Links to info on Eleanore of
Aquitaine
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Isabella-art      (11K)  2/18/98    "Isabella, the She-Wolf of France"
                                        by Jan van Seist.
Joan-of-Arc-art   (15K)  8/ 2/99    "Joan of Arc (1412 to 1430): Girl
power in
                                        the 15th cent" by Jan van
Seist. (humor)
Margaret-art      (26K)  4/16/99    "Margaret, Duchess of Parma, or
The Spanish-
                                        Dutch war, act II" by Jan van
Seist.
MK-Med-Ecc-art    (23K)  1/31/97    "Margery Kempe: A Medieval
Eccentric"
                                        by Lady Isabelle de Foix.

And if there are any editors out there who would like to be put on my
list to get my monthly Florilegium article for publication a few
weeks early so you can meet your various publication deadlines,
please contact me.

I hope these files and ideas are of use.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com