[Ansteorra] Charters and Children's Activities

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 08:27:46 PST 2009

As a beginner, I appreciate the chance to learn painting by doing charters.
It is also a great way for a beginner to decide if they have enough
aptitude to justify investing in a light table and other equipment so that
they can do original scrolls. I also feel that if I do mess up to the point that
the charter isn't good enough to be given out, at least I haven't messed up
someone's original work.  It is also nice that the creators of charters get
recognized in Court when the charters are given out.  So,  I think that there is a place
 for both the charters and the original scrolls in our Kingdom.

Someone said that "children's activities" are also a "thankless job,"
and I feel that I must respond to this.  I have been thanked many times
by parents and non-parents at the events where I have provided or helped
with children's activities.  So I feel very appreciated at this point in time (in fact.
compared to my experience with other children's groups outside of the Kingdom,
it has been much more positive!)

While I will not want to do children's activities forever, I am not burned out in the least
at present and hope to provide these activities at many more events during
my tenure as MOC of the Barony of the Steppes.  Others in our Kingdom are
also working hard to provide wonderful activities for children. While my children were
not at Coronation because they had other plans, I was sorry that they
missed it because it was obvious that the children there had a
fabulous time!  (and the procession during Coronation was also adorable and
very amusing!) So I must commend Lady Breana of Eldern Hills and her
assistants, and I look forward to bringing my children to their next Event.

 I know that others may not have been thanked
in the past for their work in children's activities, or may have been taken
advantage of in some cases, and that is a real shame.
But as a parent, I am always greatly appreciative when some
activities are provided for the children at
 Events, even for only a few hours.  Those of us with children want our
children to enjoy Events so that they will want to attend them and we can
all have a good time.  If the children don't want to attend and the parents don't have anyone
at home who can watch the children (often our situation), then the parents must decide between
attending and listening to "grumbling and whining," or not attending.  It is also difficult
to talk to the other adults much if you are spending most of your time entertaining your
own children (and if you don't, and they run wild, then they annoy others!)  Before
we go to an event we always check to see if any children's activities are offered--if
they aren't, that sometimes does factor into our decision to attend.

I always try to remember that children grow up, and some young people in our Kingdom
in their late teens and twenties also may be parents one day.
 If we want them to stay involved and become
the participants of tomorrow, we should try to provide activities for the children that
enhance their understanding of the Middle Ages and make them WANT to
participate in the future.  This will also help with retention of newcomers,
many of whom are young people who either have children or may have them
one day.  While children should not be the center of attention all the time and
were not the center of attention in the middle ages, any time we can give them
 things to do or little jobs to perform, it enhances the event for both them and their parents.
Just my opinion, and I humbly hope I do not offend.

Christianna inghean Feargus, MOC of the Barony of the Steppes