[Ansteorra] gift christmas gift idea from the Flor--files

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Nov 22 09:58:38 PST 2009

hippocras, recipe below
,
I would love some  hippocras for Christmas but what would make it
really nice would to put in a ,nice  period bottle and put it in a
 carrying bag.
 A friend of mine took this pretty orange drink bottle
and made a leather strap on it that went over the shoulder. it was
nice and her husband adored it.
I Wondered where I could get a cheap leather strap. I went to
Salvation Army and the one in Arlington had belts for a dollar. I
one to go around the bottle and and one to be the straps. I looked
the shoulder bags also and found a purse I plan to take apart to make
one for myself but that cost more. I went home looked in my husband
Armour bag, found some rivets. cut my straps with my utility scissors
Then I punched holes with a nail and using my hammer put the rivets
in. I tried the screw in rivets but they kept unscrewing.
For my bottle carrier I found this decorative tube  thing and punched
two holds in it and put the chain purse straps on it.
I had found the perfect medieval bottle. It had those little bumps
and it fit perfectly in tall round metal thing I had found.

When you at an event it is nice to have something to carry your drink
around with you. I make fabric bags to put a large pop  bottle in it.
That way everyone has their own thing to put water in.
The Servants of St. Christoper have been making them up and giving
to  people going to the war. So Far they have given away about
60 of them.

To make powdered hippocras, take a quarter of very fine cinnamon
selected by tasting it, and half a quarter of fine flour of
 cinnamon, an ounce of selected string ginger, fine and white,
 and an ounce of grain of Paradise,
a sixth of nutmegs and galingale together, and bray them all
together. Andwhen you would make your hippocras, take a good
half ounce of this powder
and two quarters of sugar and mix them with a quart of wine,
by Paris measure. And note that the powder and the sugar mixed
together is the Duke's powder. [end of original]

4 oz stick cinnamon     1 oz of ginger
2 oz powdered cinnamon  1 oz of grains of paradise
"A sixth" (probably of a pound:  2 2/3 oz) of nutmegs and galingale together

Grind them all together. To make hippocras add 1/2 ounce of the
powder and 1/2 lb (1 cup) of sugar to 2 quarts of boiling wine
(the quart used to measure wine in Paris c. 1393 was about 2 modern
 U.S. quarts, the pound and ounce about the same as ours).
strain through a sleeve of Hippocrates (atube of cloth, closed
at one end).

Elizabeth/Betty Cook