[ANSTHRLD] baronial service awards

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed May 9 16:45:03 PDT 2007

Francois wrote:

> I failed to be clear what the "it" in my original opinion was
> refering.  I meant that the induction to the order needs to be
> announced in court.  After all, isn't that one of the rules about
> awards, they have to be read into law?

No, awards don't have to be read into law.   The phrase "read into law" was
never used to refer to awards before the 1990s.  It described the
requirement to read *Kingdom Law* in court.  Awards have to be publicly
acknowledged, but there is no clear definition of what form that must take.

Duchies, counties and viscounties are automatic.  (Check Corpora.)  Lloyd's
and Joselyn's duchies were never announced in court.  The scroll texts for
these ranks specifically state that the Crown is confirming them, not giving
them.  The form of the "public acknowledgement" is a *closing* court, and if
a retiring King walked away at that point, he would still become a count or
duke  Patents, Grants, and Awards of Arms happen automatically if one is
given one of the orders or awards that carry it.  The form of public
acknowledgement is giving the related order.  These all happen automatically
because the principle is that they happen automatically in that situation,
so the announcement of the situation is all that's required.

Similarly, as long as the principle exists that B&Bs become members of the
baronial orders, then investiture is all that is required to give the
awards.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin