[Northkeep] books

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Tue May 15 06:55:33 PDT 2001

At 03:10 AM 5/15/01 -0500, susan wrote:
>The bigger question, is the relative size of the libraries...

That tends to lead to *ahem* meaasurement  contests, and isn't really relevant.
If your research library consists of 100,000 historical romance novels, is that better
than 50 ethnographies and the OED?  It depends on what your purpose is.

>library of over 4000 books on a database.  I know I will never be that
>organized, but figure I will have that many books.

I stopped counting years ago.  And I figure, as long as I know what set of shelves a
particular book might be, I'm doing fine.

>>who laughs when Peg wants a book we own, and when she can't find it
>>requests it on the computer from the library as opposed to searching the house.

I have patrons who do that too.  *They* tend to get their requests held for a few days,
then returned since we're not here to reward laziness, er, waste our time with things
that could be taken care of more easily by the patron.  We have people who really
need our help.  (I don't mean to sound nasty, I'm just very tired this morning).

Marc/Diarmaid