[Sca-cooks] Cast Iron pan question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 30 07:38:27 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Kerri Martinsen wrote:

> I ment as presentation on the plate.  just like a cake is flipped to
> show
> the "design".  These are similar.  I could do cupcakes as well in
> them, but
> again, not a period idea.
>
> Am I just off my rocker that shaped cookware isn't a good idea?
>
> Vitha

There are pros and cons, as with everything. The shapes are
specialized to some extent, and may not be appropriate for all
occasions. There's a tendency toward increased surface area which can
create difficulties getting the food item out of the pan intact.
They're harder to clean. If you don't use them regularly, how much are
they contributing to offset the expense (whatever that may be, in rent
or other housing costs) of storage (minimal, surely, but if you have a
lot of them and allow yourself to think that if one such item doesn't
make this a concern, neither should 37, you may be mistaken). I don't
like to keep anything in my kitchen that's only good for one job.
Also, some shapes may not be well-designed for even cooking.

On the other hand, they're pretty. It depends on how you weight all
those considerations.

Adamantius