[Sca-cooks] Intro and Newbie question - estimating meat portions

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 12 13:44:27 PDT 2008

Terry Decker wrote:

>The feasts I prepare take roughly two hours or less, served in three courses
>with two brief periods of entertainment (hopefully) while setting up for the
>next course.  If I planned for a longer feast, I would consider more dishes
>of smaller portions served two or three at a time at roughly 20 minute
>intervals with continuous entertainment.  Interminable, boring waits for the
>next course do not enhance the cook's or the group's reputation.

Yeah, what he said.  I tend to plump for 40-50 minutes between the first
course and the second, and up to an hour between the second and the
third.  That's enough time for everyone to eat in an unhurried fashion
and have some entertainment and conversation, but not so long that
they're bored.

>The quantity of meat at a feast is often dictated by the dietary habits of
>the people at the board.  In my case, I live in a region of carnivores with
>a high incidence of heart disease in the general population.

Most people here enjoy meat, but I also have no trouble getting them to
eat salads and other vegetables, fish, eggs, pasta, grains, shellfish,
game, etc. etc.

--
Antonia Calvo
(formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)