[Sca-cooks] Above/Below the Salt was Greetings

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 19 13:00:20 PDT 2008

Terry Decker wrote:

>Five or five hundred, did you get what you paid for or did your fee
>subsidize someone else's goody?  I see no issue with the financial rules, as
>long as the budgeting and expenses are proportional to the price.  Having
>been involved with a couple 400-500 person feasts as a planner and baker, I
>wouldn't even try to run a two tier feast for a group that size.  Unless you
>have some serious facilities, you run into issues of kitchen capacity and
>seating without having the hassle of figuring out who should get what.

I think you'd have to be pretty strict about seating, so that the
high-price and low-price groups are reasonably seperate and distinct.  I
also think that in most kitchens, you could only do this by making the
cheaper feast's menu a subset of the fancier one's.

>I would point out that you are using quality for cost.  An inexpensive meat
>in abundance can be of good quality, while an expensive meat in small
>portions can be of abysmal quality and vise versa.  The objective is to
>provide quantity and quality in both cases within the contraints of the
>budget.

Absolutely!  I've had delicious dishes that might fairly be described as
stewed offcuts 'n' stuff and I've had pheasant that was ruined.

--
Antonia Calvo
(formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)

Habeo metrum - musicamque,