[Ansteorra-announce] The Cock and Pie Tavern at Loch Guardian

Snorri Hallsson snorri at houston.rr.com
Fri May 14 07:44:28 PDT 2004

What an odd post.  I found it very difficult to read, so for the benefit of
those traveling to Loch Guardian, I figured I should probably try to explain
in, um, clearer language.

The Baron's Men is a company of players who have traveled the Known World
bringing theatrical productions of quality and great entertainment to their
audiences.  This weekend, they are bringing the Aster Theatre and their
production of The Merry Wives of Windsor to Loch Guardian.  At Crown
Tournament, the Baron's Men introduced the Cock and Pie Tavern as an
additional element of atmosphere, for their audiences to come and have a
drink after the show and enjoy one another's company, as well as to mingle
with the cast and crew.

Now I've done community theatre in the past, and I can tell you there's a
reason shows and seasons get sponsors, ads are sold in playbills,
fundraising campaigns are held - it takes a LOT of money to put on a
production by a non-profit, volunteer cast and crew.

If I may be so bold, the Baron's Men is Ansteorra's community theatre.

For months, these good gentles have spent countless hours building sets and
stages, sewing costumes, acquiring props, learning lines and rehearsing,
rehearsing, rehearsing ... to bring you the same quality of production that
you'd find in any community theatre.  And they have the added challenge of
making it all look period: the lighting, the orchestra, the very design of
the theatre.  Some months ago, you may recall that a call went forth for
good gentles to sponsor the Baron's Men as patrons.  While this call was
answered by some, it was not answered by enough to completely offset the
expenses that a production such as The Merry Wives of Windsor incurs during
its run.  So, the Cock and Pie Tavern was created to help raise funds for
the Baron's Men.

At Crown Tournament enough funds were raised to cover the expenses of one of
the three kegs of ale that were produced and donated for fundraising.  So
for Loch Guardian, the message is being made a little clearer - the tavern
is a fundraiser, and the Baron's Men need your help if they are to continue
to bring theatrical productions to the stage in Ansteorra.

All are welcome to come and enjoy the tavern, and for a suggested donation
of $10 will receive a token good for the run of whatever's in the house
(staff not included).  Of course, no one will be refused, and no donation
will be refused either.

(Someone needs to teach this Stephen Tapster guy how to write ...)

In service (I think),
Snorri Hallsson

> 'Ello milords and ladies.
>
> Many's th' times I've 'eard 'at Adam Seymour rabbitin' on about 'is
> play'ouse, th' Aster.  Why, jus' las' week th' Baron's Men played Th'
Merrie
> Wives of Windsor there an' ye should've 'eard the ruckus!  'Owls of
laugher
> I 'eard all even, an' then there wuz this thund'rous cheer and applause
went
> up a' th' end - ye'd 'ave sworn a tempest wuz brewin', ye'd 'ave!
>
> Oh, me an' my manners.  Tapster's th' name, Stephen Tapster. I run th'
Cock
> an' Pie Tavern next t'th' Aster, I does.
>
> Now, while you good folk 'ave seen th' Baron's Men on stage, they's good
> customers o' mine, they is, an' I've 'eard all th' scuttlebutt 'round
behind
> th' curtain, if ye knows what I mean.  See, I 'ears it when things are
going
> good ... an' I 'ears it when things are going bad.  Now 'at Adam Seymour,
> salt o' th' earth, 'e is.  'E's promised th' Baron's Men a share o' th'
> profits from the play!  Thing is, profit's usually th' last thing any
> establishment sees, an' well, me best customers is seen better times,
> they 'as.
>
> Since 'at Adam Seymour's capable of speakin' for 'imself - 'e knows 'at
> Queen's English, 'e does - I'll leave 'im to tell ye about th' play.  But
let
> me tell ye 'bout th' Cock an' Pie!  We'll be 'avin' the finest ales th'
> brewers can supply.  Cordials 'at'll bring a tear t' yer eye.  Fun an'
> merriment.  An' on nights when th' Baron's Men play, they usually
> find 'emselves 'round f'r a tipple, 'ey do!  Famous players, right there
a'
> th' next table t'ye, fresh from th' stage a' th' Aster!
>
> But if I could beg a boon from ye, good folk.  Though yer welcome an' all
t'
> th' Cock an' Pie, I would ask tha' ye help me best customers out, ya
> see, 'fore th' 'ard times gets 'arder for 'em.  We'll be 'avin' a pitcher
at
> th' bar to raise some coin to 'elp pay some o' th' Baron's Men's expenses,
> an' if ye'd be good enough t' leave some coin for 'em, I'd be in yer debt.
> They's my best customers, ya see.  An' th' brewers could use some coin
> to 'elp wi' what they bring in to th' Cock an' Pie.  It does take a pound
> note 'r two to brew beer, and a goodly bit more to produce a play, Mister
> Seymour tells me.
>
> Well, I've spoken me mind wi' ye.  Go see th' Merrie Wives o' Windsor
> presented by th' Baron's Men a' th' Aster Theatre, which on th' Ides o'
May