[Ansteorra-announce] Chronicler's Report from Round Table

Kingdom Chronicler kingdom at chronicler.ansteorra.org
Tue Jul 23 11:17:41 PDT 2013

[The following contains things that would answer a number of pieces of
email I've received recently.  I promise, it's worth a moment to read. :)]

Fellow denizens of the Kingdom of Ansteorra, please find within a summary
and elaboration of my remarks at the open session of Round Table regarding
the Office of the Chronicler:

My name is Reis ap Tuder and I am the new Kingdom Chronicler; my deputies
are Estrill Swet, Reporting Deputy; Biatrichi di Palermo, Training Deputy;
Annes Clotilde von Bamburg, Historian; and Delphina de Champeaux will
continue to serve as Financial Deputy until she completes the transfer of
finances to the Kingdom account, whereupon our finances will be handled by
the Kingdom Exchequer henceforth.

We have a new website, still at http://chronicler.ansteorra.org/, with a
completely revamped discussion of how to prepare event ads; please let me
know of any suggestions for making it even clearer. We remind the groups of
our Kingdom that in order for kingdom business to be carried out at an
event, an ad for the event *must* appear in the Black Star of the
publication date of the same month as the event; if the event is in the
first ten days of the month, an ad in the previous month's Black Star will
fulfill this requirement as well. Please also remember that the deadline
for receipt of ads is the 1st day of the month prior to the month of
publication. For example, if your event is in October (let's say after the
10th), we must receive your complete ad with accompanying materials and
payment as appropriate by September 1. This is all documented on the new
website, as well as *the new address to send checks* and, please note, *the
new way to make checks out*. For chroniclers and those who wish to be
chroniclers, please also note that a new Handbook has been posted as well.

While Kingdom Law no longer requires any groups to have a chronicler,
Society Policy still requires all baronies (and provinces!) to publish a
newsletter at least quarterly, and requires that the newsletter be
published by an officer warranted to do so by the Kingdom Chronicler. I am
still discussing this matter with Crown and Kingdom officers, but for the
moment, it is at least true that Baronies and Provinces should have an
officer on my warrant roster, whether or not they hold another office, who
is creating a newsletter according to the rules of Kingdom and Society at
least once every 3 months. I will be discussing this in the days to come
with the very few groups affected who do not currently have a warranted
chronicler. I personally encourage all groups who have the personnel to do
so to have a chronicler and produce a newsletter.

Finally, I wish to remind all that local chroniclers, as with all local
officers, are both "hired" and "fired" by the Kingdom office, not by other
local officers nor even the Baron and Baroness where appropriate. (For some
offices, the regional does this as well, but we don't have regional
officers at this time.) Certainly I will always discuss such matters with
the group leadership, but concerns with the local chronicler need to be
brought to me for resolution; that is the way SCA offices work and we can
all avoid drama and stress by communicating early and often.

Let me also echo the other Great Officers of State in thanking and
applauding all of the regional, local and at-large officers that make this
Kingdom work so well, and make this game of ours so remarkable and
enjoyable. We literally could not do it without you.

Reis Ap Tuder
Kingdom Chronicler