Heraldry

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Wed Apr 5 20:46:49 PDT 1995

Sheilagh writes:

> We don't live in Europe, there are perfectly noble symbols
> from this hemisphere that would seem right.

However, the era and atmosphere that we are trying to re-create *is*
centered on Europe, and specifically pre-17th century Europe.

> nother question:  are the heraldic guidelines meant to be European?  I don't
> want to just assume that, but it doesn't seem like much non-Continental stuff
> gets displayed;  would Japanese or Native American designs be put down, even if
> they were possible in Period?

Yes, the heraldic guidelines are meant to be European (though they
tend to be slanted a bit more toward English practice than
continental).  If by "non-Continental" you mean "non-European" then,
yes, not much of that is registered, since the SCA is primarily
concerned with the European Middle Ages and Renaissance.  Feudal Japan
did have a tradition similar to European heraldic practices, though
distinctly different in style.  To the best of my knowledge, while the
various native American cultures (North, South, and Central) may have
had some system of personal iconography, they didn't have anything
that could be easily termed "heraldry".

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com