Heraldry

STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU
Thu Apr 6 12:31:51 PDT 1995

in regards to Leslie Miller's post responding to Aodhan's post
Thu, 06 Apr 95 10:04:09 CST

(snip)
> I am well aware of that, thank you.  I said nothing in my post aout
> "knowing" or not "knowing" about the existance of something.  (I
> was not aware that New Zealand was not discovered until so much
> later.)

The rules state that you can use animals (and objects) that were
known in period to Western Europe ( Western Europe has contact with)
(pre 1601)

(snip)
> > There were buffalo (water buffalo) known to Europeans.
> > But water buffalo do not look like American buffalo, and the
buffalo> depicted on the Barony of Eldern Hills' banners look like
American > buffalo.  Is this artistic licence?

> > In the specific case
> > of Duke Lloyd'sarms, these were registered in 1980; we are not obligated to
> > repeat past mistakes.
>
> Ah, so they'd no longer be allowed?  This is information I did not
> know, and I thank you for providing it.

Western Europeans had contact with them in period. Technically they
are still allowed.
(major snip)
> > Re: polar bears.  Ever hear of the Rus or the Vikings??
>
> Yes, amazingly enough, I have.  In fact, I have done extensive research
> in Viking history, and actually attended graduate school for a
> stint at UC Berkeley in the Scandinavian languages and literature
> department studying Old Norse.

Cool, are you working with our college of heralds. We need more
language experts in kingdom.  The College of Arms is getting really
sticky on matters of name construction and temporal consistancy. The
more people we get who are schooled in name construction in period
the more chance we have of getting people's names to pass at Laurel
level (our utmost goal)
(another major snip)
> HL Gunhilda
> Shire of Mooneschadowe
> miller at pp.okstate.edu
>
> Leslie Miller
> Environmental Health and Safety
> (405) 744-7241
> miller at pp.okstate.edu

If you want to know the rules for submissions you can get to them
from the Herald's web page. Or order them through the SCA Marketplace.

Lorraine