Heraldry

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Sat Apr 8 16:35:08 PDT 1995

<aodhan at dobharchu.org (Aodhan Ite an Fhithich)>
> "MC> "The Fabulous/Heraldic Tygre...
>Hmmm... the picture in the PicDic II looks more tiger-like than that
>description.

I'm sorry, but I am unfamiliar with that source.  To be honest, I can't
recall specifically which of the following I gleaned my descripription from
(as it was several years ago and I was researching a LOT of these things),
but I know it was one of:

Beasts and birds of the Middle Ages, the bestiary and its legacy. / edited by
  Willene B. Clark and Meradith T. McMunn. Philadelphia, University of
  Pennsylvania Press, c1989.

Bestiary. English.
    The book of beasts, being a translation from a Latin bestiary of the
  twelfth century. / made and edited by T. H. White. London, J. Cape, [1954].
    Translation of Cambridge University Library ms. Ii.4.26.

Bestiary. English.
    A medieval bestiary. / Translated & introduced by T. J. Elliott. With wood
  engravings by Gillian Tyler. [1st ed.]. Boston, Godine, 1971.
    Translation based on the standard Middle English text, The Bestiary: B. M.
  Arundel 292, in Selections from early Middle English, 1130-1250, edited by
  J. Hall, 1920.

Lehner, Ernst, 1895-.
    A fantastic bestiary, beasts and monsters in myth and folklore. / by Ernst
  and Johanna Lehner. Foreword by Henry P. Raleigh. New York, Tudor Pub. Co.,
  [1969].

Morris, Richard, 1833-1894.
    An Old English miscellany containing a bestiary, Kentish sermons, Proverbs
  of Alfred, religious poems of the thirteenth century, from manuscripts in
  the British Museum, Bodleian Library, Jesus College Library, etc. / Edited
  with introd. and index of words by Richard Morris. New York, Greenwood Press,
  [1969].
    Series: Early English Text Society (Series). Original series, no. 49.

Theobaldus Episcopus.
    Physiologus, a metrical bestiary of twelve chapters. / by Bishop Theobald,
  printed in Cologne 1492. The author is believed to have been abbot of Monte
  Cassino, A.D. 1022-1035, and a description of the abbey is appended with
  illustrations. Translated by Alan Wood Rendell ... London, J. & E. Bumpus,
  ltd., 1928.
    Original title: Phisiologus Theobaldi Episcopi de naturis duo decim
  animalium. [Colophon: The Finit phisiologus Theobaldi ... Impressus per
  Henricu Quentell in sancta ciuitate Coloniensi.

 "MC> few actually do), further, based on my observations only I would
 "MC> further suggest that Pennisic would not present a representative
 "MC> sampling of those members who have not registered their devices.
>I didn't mean to imply everyone went to Pennsic, but that it would provide a
>valid statistical sample.  Your final statement in that paragraph puzzles me
>somewhat, though.  On what do you base this opinion?  I doubt the folks who
>man Heralds' Point each year would agree with this.

It is my opinion, based solely on my own observations, mind you, that those
SCA members and unpaid associates for whom attending Pennsic is not
something likely to occur (whether through money or inclination) are equally
unlikely to go to the bother of registering a device.  Therefore the population
size of unregistered devices at Pennsic is likely to disproportionately low.

>"I'll be seeing you."  (I am not a number, I'm a free Celt!! <g>)

Gee, I cost Money :)  But that *does* mean I can be bought...

"Mihi Satis Apparet Propter     Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
  Se Ipsum Appetenda Sapientia"	University of Northkeep
 -- St. Dunstan			Northkeepshire, Ansteorra
				(I. Marc Carlson/IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu)