Heraldry

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Mon Apr 17 11:54:39 PDT 1995

On Thu, 13 Apr 1995, I. Marc Carlson wrote:

> <James Crouchet <crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com>>
> >I have not heard of anyone being forced to do voice or book heraldry
> >against their will just because they do the other....
>
> Of course they aren't.  No one ever tells you that you HAVE to do one
> thing or another, but the pressure is there.  If nothing else there's
> that question of "Well, why don't you?".  For that matter, (and I don't
> mean this agressively) there is at this moment a smidgen of social
> pressure coming from you of the "Well, I do it; why can't you?" particularly
> since you didn't just silently take my precious comment and dismiss it
> as garbage.  By responding to it, you are, in essence, trying to pressure
> me into changing my statement.  It's a fairly simple and extremely common
> social dynamic.

You should understand, I don't do what I consider "book heraldry"
either.  I do voice, I do design (art). I cannot conflict check my way
out of a wet paper bag.  I know just enough about names to figure out my
own. I seems unlikely I am pressuring you to "get with the program" on
items I don't do.  I think you may be reading more into my statements
than is actually there.

> Those pressures exist all over the place in the Society (not to mention the
> greater Society at large), whether you notice them or not.

Sure, this is how we guide the development of our fellows.  It is the
only enforcement method for courtisy and honor. We are, after all, a
Society.

> >...but my observation has been that the CoH is always grateful for any help it
> >can get, provided that help is competent.
>
> And I've been perfectly happy to loan my meager skills to the CoH from time
> to time.
>
> >The CoH can be a bit snotty toward the incompetent when we should,
> >instead, be educating to cure the incompetence, but I have never seen
> >someone rejected because of their area of specialization or an
> >unwillingness to participate in other aspects of heraldry.
>
> I never said a thing about rejection, did I?

Perhaps the hairs being split here are too fine for me.

> Diarmuit

Savian