rapier trends

STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU
Fri Apr 28 14:38:49 PDT 1995

> cmwalden at bga.com

>Who determines who is qualified to authorize whom?  Is it based on
a peer
> group that support each other, or is it based on similar qualifications to
> local Arts and Sciences Officer?

The Earl Marshall of Ansteorra and his deputies decide whom is
authorized to authorize others. I believe that White X are able to
authorize fighters in their respective fields along with certian
marshalls. Marshalls can only be authorized to do so by certian
gentles who are given that power by the Earl Marshal and Rapier
marshall. The power to authorize a marshall is not given to the White
X, they have to prove that they have the ability to judge the:
capability and willingness to enforce the kingdom rules on
marshalling by an individual. These are all based on the rules in the
participants handbook.

>What would you say that that piece of paper means?  Is it simply a
point of
> record, or do you think it is a fair evaluation of someone's competance to
> be on the field in either capacity?  (fighter/marshal)

It is a point of record. It is also a evaluation of competence.

> I would be interested to hear more about how the White X circle
interacts
> with the Marshall on such issues.  Do you think it runs well in mutual
> support, or is it like a modern beaurocracatic (stupid git!  Can't spell to
> save your life, can you?) office that upholds what they think best in spite
> of their peers.

Lots of the White X are in the marshallate. The belts circle did get
involved when one of their cards was pulled but mainly as a matter
of if they are one of us we should be able to correct the problem
before it gets that bad. Usually if a belt is taken aside and
questioned about their behavior on the field they tend to try to fix
and/or evaluate. From what I have seen and heard that if a scarf is
talked to questioning their behavior they usually throw a hissy fit
and insist that they are A SCARF and therefore can judge for
themselves when they might be a small bit out of line.
Most scarves are not that bad. The cases I did here of got really
silly really quick.
> My honor has remained intact on the field.  I have noticed that
much of the
> politeness has left the game-- in more official circumstances.  For example
> I noticed that no one seems terribly concerned whether or not I was
> satisfied with the way that the fight was conducted.  Although, I suppose if
> we have implemented a system that has a set of strong standards that must be
> adhered to, with little room for individual interpretation, then that would
> be unecessary.  As long as the Authorities don't have a problem with what
> has occured, there must be no problem.
The marshall probably assumes that you would speak up if you were not
satisfied or that you would discuss that with your opponent.
There are many interpretations of the rules that is one of the
problems with the marshallate now and why they are re-instituting
requiring taking a class in marshaling before anyone is reauthorized
in marshaling.

> >In any case, if one is checking to see if a Don/Knight knows the CURRENT
> >stuff you should be concentrating on the new stuff.
> Can you think of any of the "new stuff" that you feel are not widely known,
> or understood?  Would knowledge be based on application or primarily on
> syntax or ability to quote accurately?
Believe it or don't, a lot of people are not working under the
current rules for participants. As people are wont to do, they tend
to work under the system of rules they learned and when there are
updates they just say: "I know the rules, I don't need to read them
agian."