rapier trends

Patricia Horton horton at dhostwo.convex.com
Thu Apr 27 11:40:16 PDT 1995

>I am searching for some clarification here.  It is my understanding that a
>White Scarf of Ansteorra does not necessarily have the authority to fight or
>marshal.  Is this accurate?  If it is, were there some incidents where White
>Scarves demonstrated that they could not be trusted with those duties?
>
>Are there similary conventions for Armored Fighters?  Is it possible to be a
>Knight who is not authorized to fight, or marshall?
>
>Perhaps I am misunderstanding a subtlety in the paperwork or authorization
>system, but that's how I understand it.  I would appreciate enlightenment.

Technically this is true. The marshallate and the white scarves and the
white belts (Knights) are seperate entities. Just because you are a Knight
or a Don does not mean you are authorized for participating or marshalling.
We had to get 3 Knights to re-up their authorizations before they could
fight in crown this weekend! Corporate, and Kingdom law both maintain you
must be AUTHORIZED to fight or marshall. This means you must have that
little card that says you are authorized to fight/marshall in the Kingdom
of Ansteorra, period.

At Gulf Wars, you had to show proof of authorization to get a little sticker
for your helmet or whatever in order to fight. No card, no sticker, no fight
and technically no marshall. We ended up issuing a lot of authorizations that
had expired for many belts and non-belts.

Wish I had a copy of my Corpora and kingdom law here at work, I would quote
the pieces pertaining to this. I will dig tonight.

It has nothing to do with someone doing something that demonstrated they could
not be trusted. We are simply complying with law, and have been for a good 3
or so years since the new authorization system was put in place. Much easier,
and much more accurate. Authorization means you know the rules of the list,
and have demonstrated the fact that you are SAFE on the field, it has nothing
to do with awards or skill. We have some belts and scarves that have "retired",
and understand they would need to demonstrate they understand the rules as
they are written today, before being let back on the field. Any combatent, light
or heavy, can also have their authorization revoked for various reasons. Does
not matter if you are a belt, scarf, squire or cadet. We have come close a
couple of times to putting someone in this situation through the marshallate.

Barn has instituted a Marshall's college for the heavy fighters to really
train marshalls, the light community under Haroun (acting as Kingdom Rapier
Marshall NOT as Don Haroun) has agreed to follow a marshalls college in the
rapier community.

Maire