Heraldry

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Fri Apr 7 09:41:51 PDT 1995

<aodhan at dobharchu.org (Aodhan Ite an Fhithich)>
>Dia duit!

And to yourself as well.

 "MC> in period nor cited in Bestiaries.  Tygers were, of course, but were
 "MC> absolutely unlike what we think of today as Tigers.
>Did the Arabs not know of them (perhaps from Persian traders)?  Did Marco Polo
>not see one on his travels or perhaps in a zoo kept by the Khan?  I ask, not
>to doubt your statement, but because the heraldic tiger strikes me as being
>very like what travellers' tales would have changed a natural tiger to.

I can't speak for Signore Polo since I have not read his book recently, but
it may be so.  As for the Arab traders, of course some of them saw the
creatures.  However, if I may resort to my notebooks for a moment...

"The Fabulous/Heraldic Tygre closely resembles a Wolf in form, with
a long, pointed snout, a wolf-like body, with a thick mane,
although its tufted tail is definately feline.  The tygre's pelt is
reddish, or red and brown speckled, similar to tortoise shell.
Tyger's move VERY fast.  Their prefered form of attack is to dart
in and dart back, pulling away, out of reach.  According to legend,
Tygres can be trapped by showing them their reflection in a mirror"

(a fact that amuses my wife no end...)

>Here's an idea for an interesting way to get a statistic sampling for this.
>Go to Pennsic. Spend the entire War writing down blazons for every piece of
>armory displayed....

Ah, yes, this *would* be a good means of doing so.  Of course, not everyone
in the Society attends Pennsic, (I would suggest that very few actually do),
further, based on my observations only I would further suggest that Pennisic
would not present a representative sampling of those members who have not
registered their devices.

> "MC> "Mihi Satis Apparet Propter     Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
> "MC>   Se Ipsum Appetenda Sapientia" University of Northkeep
>I'll translate mine if you'll tanslate yours <g>.

Certainly.

"'Twas brillig and the slithy...."

No, wait, that's not it.

"Money is the Root..."  No...

Ah, NOW I remember.

Roughly translated it reads

"The search for Knowledge is sufficient unto itself" or words to that
effect.  St. Dunstan's Latin is a bit more complex than mine.

>Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Until then,

Ipse mera Eruditissimus,	Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
				University of Northkeep
				Northkeepshire, Ansteorra
				(I. Marc Carlson/IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu)
                                ["A Simple Scholar..."]