Heraldry

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Apr 7 21:52:06 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of "I. Marc Carlson"  to All]

 "MC> I can't speak for Signore Polo since I have not read his book
 "MC> recently, but it may be so.  As for the Arab traders, of course some
 "MC> of them saw the creatures.  However, if I may resort to my notebooks
 "MC> for a moment...

 "MC> "The Fabulous/Heraldic Tygre closely resembles a Wolf in form, with a
 "MC> long, pointed snout, a wolf-like body, with a thick mane, although
 "MC> its tufted tail is definately feline.  The tygre's pelt is reddish,
 "MC> or red and brown speckled, similar to tortoise shell. Tyger's move
 "MC> VERY fast.  Their prefered form of attack is to dart in and dart
 "MC> back, pulling away, out of reach.  According to legend, Tygres can
 "MC> be trapped by showing them their reflection in a mirror"

Hmmm... the picture in the PicDic II looks more tiger-like than that
description.

 "MC> Ah, yes, this *would* be a good means of doing so.  Of course, not
 "MC> everyone in the Society attends Pennsic, (I would suggest that very
 "MC> few actually do), further, based on my observations only I would
 "MC> further suggest that Pennisic would not present a representative
 "MC> sampling of those members who have not registered their devices.

I didn't mean to imply everyone went to Pennsic, but that it would provide a
valid statistical sample.  Your final statement in that paragraph puzzles me
somewhat, though.  On what do you base this opinion?  I doubt the folks who
man Heralds' Point each year would agree with this.

 "MC> Roughly translated it reads

 "MC> "The search for Knowledge is sufficient unto itself" or words to that
 "MC> effect.  St. Dunstan's Latin is a bit more complex than mine.

 >> Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

"I'll be seeing you."  (I am not a number, I'm a free Celt!! <g>)

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable