Heraldry

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Wed Apr 12 07:52:18 PDT 1995

<dssweet at okway.okstate.edu (Deborah Sweet)>
>No, I don't think that's what Diarmuit is saying. IMHO, he is lumping
>all the book heralds, name heralds, artist heralds, precedence heralds,
>and any others who don't *make*announcements* (ie, voice, court, field
>heralds) into the Scholastics, which will then have some kind of
>differentiation describing exactly what that person's specialty is. For
>example, Bob does name research, especially in French names, then he
>would be a Scholastic (French naming). If he also did artistic work, he
>could then add Scholastic (French naming, Artist).

That's more or less what I'm saying, yes.  Thank you, ma'am.  Loud
Heralds and Quiet Heralds :)  And then further labeling.

>It might take some paperwork to keep track of who's what, but then almost
>any system would.

Isn't it as much paperwork to determine what weapons fighters are authorized
for.

This is, of course, not to say that Fred, who is a Scholastic (Naming) can't
draw up a device, but you may want to have Irwin (Artist) actually draw
up your submission  (It might be nice if it were a *requirement* to have
all submissions redrawn by an Heraldic artist, but I'm just that kinda
guy :) ).

The real problem with this system is that ideally it would require some
for of "authorization" for certain things, such as artwork and naming
practices, and I really hate the level of authorizations we are currently
saddled with.  The reason though that it would be better to authorize is
to keep just any shmoe from picking up a pencil and doing "heraldic art"
for things like submissions.  For example, I know an artist who lives
in the north end of the kingdom, who is very good at the sorts of comic
book art that they do for a living.  Their *heraldic* art, otoh, is, to be
delicate, excreble, since it comes out in the same art style that they
use elsewhere.  I, OTOH, am not even a good comic book artist, but am
enough of an artist to think that I could draw up my own submission.  I'll
refrain from repeating the criticisms of my artistic style and taste I
received when my submission was first returned.  Needless to say, I was
not pleased.  Had I been required to submit it through an heraldic artist
the first time, it would have annoyed me, but I would have done it, and
stupid thing might have passed that much earlier, and without the grief of
my receiving the abuse I felt I received.

>I think this would be advantageous in many situations, because some
>people are deathly afraid to make announcements or herald a court,

I won't do it.  That's a major reason why I have avoided all previous
opportunity's to become a Herald.

>while others don't care to do research into volumes and volumes of
>books.

Something I do for FUN.

>Each person would receive a job title that would only commit
>them to doing what they wanted to do in the first place.

Yup and Yeay Verily.

:)

"Mihi Satis Apparet Propter     Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
  Se Ipsum Appetenda Sapientia"	University of Northkeep
 -- St. Dunstan			Northkeepshire, Ansteorra
				(I. Marc Carlson/IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu)