Heraldry

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Thu Apr 13 14:53:05 PDT 1995

<James Crouchet <crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com>>
>I have not heard of anyone being forced to do voice or book heraldry
>against their will just because they do the other....

Of course they aren't.  No one ever tells you that you HAVE to do one
thing or another, but the pressure is there.  If nothing else there's
that question of "Well, why don't you?".  For that matter, (and I don't
mean this agressively) there is at this moment a smidgen of social
pressure coming from you of the "Well, I do it; why can't you?" particularly
since you didn't just silently take my precious comment and dismiss it
as garbage.  By responding to it, you are, in essence, trying to pressure
me into changing my statement.  It's a fairly simple and extremely common
social dynamic.

Those pressures exist all over the place in the Society (not to mention the
greater Society at large), whether you notice them or not.

>...but my observation has been that the CoH is always grateful for any help it
>can get, provided that help is competent.

And I've been perfectly happy to loan my meager skills to the CoH from time
to time.

>The CoH can be a bit snotty toward the incompetent when we should,
>instead, be educating to cure the incompetence, but I have never seen
>someone rejected because of their area of specialization or an
>unwillingness to participate in other aspects of heraldry.

I never said a thing about rejection, did I?

Diarmuit