Heraldry

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Apr 14 17:57:14 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of "I. Marc Carlson"  to All]

 "MC> <Estril:From: dssweet at Okway.okstate.edu (Deborah Sweet)>
 "MC> (Via private mail -- reprinted with permission)
 >> ... I really did like your re-division of the heraldry office. It's a
 >> shame  you didn't get any response/discussion from some of the
 >> higher-ups in  heraldry (who I *know* to be on this list).

 "MC> I suspect that's because there's really no point to their replying.
 "MC> This is the way it's been done, this is how it will remain, and all
 "MC> that.

No.  I haven't replied because:
  1) I've been busy (taxes and RoP (still, grrrr)), and
  2) I hadn't seen anything, yet, that wasn't refinements on my previous post
     about reorganizing the heralds.

 >> ...Continuing the heraldry thread: is our perception of the heraldry
 >> office  peculiar to the northern groups? or is it a result of how few
 >> heralds  there actually are here in the north (as opposed to the
 >> central region  where you swing a stick and hit a herald)? It seems
 >> like here in the  north, once someone has served their time as a
 >> herald *very* few of them  continue their association with the college
 >> of heralds. I have a feeling  that this may be different in other
 >> regions of Ansteorra. What your  thoughts on this? [You're welcome to
 >> re-post this to the list, if you  want. *You* might get a response
 >> from someone. I don't think I would.:-(]

 "MC> I can think of a few heralds I wouldn't mind hitting with a stick :)

 "MC> OTOH, I'd really like to dispute your perception, but for the life of
 "MC> me I can't.  Perhaps one of those Herald Emeritus types might want
 "MC> to take up this point???  Hmmm????

Uhmmm... There aren't (to my knowledge) any Herald Emeritus types posting
here.  There's me (still active), Savian (still active but not holding a
position in the College), and occassionally Kief (who had been inactive for
sometime prior to becomeing Star PH).  Certainly, no former Star PHs are
posting here (discounting one post from Tadhg).

As for the comments on the burn-out rate among heralds, as I commented in my
post to Estrill preceding this one, the herald's office expects more skill; in
non-modern areas, no less; of the holder than any other office.  It is thus to
be expected that many would not look forward into a second trip into the
lion's den.  Part of this can be blamed upon the structure of the CoH and CoA,
neither of which places enough emphasis on training heralds or teaching the
populace about heraldry.

For example, the Knowne World Heraldic Symposium this year will be held in the
Barony of Caerthe (Denver, CO) the last weekend in June.  Has anyone seen
anything in the Black Star about this?  Only heralds in the "inner circle" are
aware of this event.  And I still haven't seen any site or fee info, I only
just this week saw a call for papers for the procedings (with a May 1
deadline).

Do you see any heraldic symposia on the Kingdom Calendar?  Have Ansteorra,
Meridies, and Trimaris done anything yet about the gross lack of organized
heraldry at Gulf Wars?  (Was something done this year, I didn't go and so
don't know.)  How often are heraldry classes taught at wInterKingdom or King's
College?  (For that matter, *when* is the next King's College).  etc. etc.
etc.

The Arts & Sciences get second shrift in this Kingdom, and Heraldry has to
stand in line behind them.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan (Have you hugged your herald today? Or, better yet, offered to help?)
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable